Should I Use a Dentist to Take My Impression?
How and why Does the SleepPro work?
How long does it take before we know it works?
If it does not work right away, then do not persevere in the hope that it will work better in time. If it does not work straight away, then it needs “tweaking”. If you follow the guidelines below, then you have a very good chance of getting it to work. Please feel free to contact us to discuss what to do next if you find yourself in this situation. People are understandably disappointed to find their SleepPro 1 does not work, but are then pleasantly surprised to find that with a bit of “tweaking” they stop snoring. The reasons for this will become clearer as you read on and you will be pleased to know there is nothing here you can’t do yourself and that we are more than happy to answer any questions you have to help you on your way.
How can I troubleshoot a problem with my SleepPro 1?
Problem: It doesn’t work.
Possible solution: The two most common causes and solutions are:
- Your jaw may not be pushed far enough forward, so remold the mouthpiece with your jaw further forward. Note: pushing your jaw further forward reduces snoring, but increases discomfort. We are trying to find a position where your jaw is far enough forward to stop your snoring, but not so far forward that it causes discomfort. It can be a process of trial-and-error, but when you find the right spot, the rewards are worth it.
- Your jaw may be slipping out of the mouthpiece and so your jaw is not held forward while you are asleep. See the suggestions below.
- It only stops me snoring at the beginning of the night.
- It’s fine to begin with, but then my jaw drops out and I start snoring again.
- I wore it when I went to sleep. I didn’t snore to begin with, but then I did and woke up with it on the pillow.
Possible solution: It may be dropping out of your teeth while you are asleep. This is a common problem with “boil-and-bite” mouthpieces and may be overcome by (i) reheating and remolding it and (ii) sucking out the saliva, particularly when you first put it in each night. A custom-made mouthpiece like our SleepPro 2 Custom, may be the solution as they grip the teeth much better.
If you wore a SleepPro 1 and it worked, even if only for a few minutes, then it has told us something very worthwhile, even though this may not seem obvious at first. The device has confirmed that moving your jaw forward a short way stops your snoring, and it has done so without you having to spend a lot of money. If it only works for part of the time, or is uncomfortable, then you should get a custom-made SleepPro 2 Custom.
Problem: It used to work, but now I’m snoring again.
Possible solution: It may have stretched and so you should (i) remold it, or (ii) buy a new one, or (iii) upgrade to a custom-made device like a SleepPro 2 Custom.
Problem: My jaw muscles hurt when I wake in the morning (TMJ pain).
Possible solution: Your jaw may be pushed too far forward and so you may need to remold the mouthpiece with your jaw not so far forward.
Problem: My front teeth hurt when I wake in the morning.
Possible solution: Lots of people experience this when they start using a SleepPro 1 and they usually find it goes away after they have been using it for a few days to a couple of weeks. It could also be that your jaw is pushed too far forward, so try remolding the mouthpiece with your jaw not so far forward. Or upgrade to a SleepPro 2 Custom. With a SleepPro 1 the pressure caused by your jaw trying to move back into place is pushed onto your front teeth, whereas with a SleepPro 2 Custom the same “load” is put onto nearly all your teeth and so it is not so noticeable, or is non-existent.
How many times can I remold my SleepPro 1?
When I wake in the morning and remove the mouthpiece, my jaw feels as though it is pushed forward.
Will I be able to wear it all night?
Try upgrading to a SleepPro 2 Custom. These are made using a dental impression kit that provides a near perfect fit to your teeth and reduces substantially the likelihood of it dropping out of your mouth while you are asleep. They are also more comfortable.
Some people find they cannot sleep with a mouthpiece in their mouth. If this is the case for you, it is worth noting that people get used to wearing a mouthpiece with time.
Will it work for me?
My Wisdom Teeth are pressing against my gums when I push my jaw forward and are causing pain and discomfort.
My SleepPro 1 is very rough.
What about Sleep Apnea and CPAP?
Both CPAP and mandibular advancement devices are valid treatment for certain cases of OSA, but this must be supervised by a physician knowledgeable in the area.
I breathe through my mouth when I am asleep, will I be able to wear a SleepPro?
It is normal for your nose to become more blocked for a while when you first lie down. This is due to a change in blood pressure in the vessels around the nose. However, the body soon compensates and normally within fifteen minutes everything reverts to normal and you should be able to breathe the same lying down as you can sitting up.
How long will a SleepPro last?
Will it be too bulky for me?
Will it work if I have dentures?
Most of the “load” is taken on the front teeth with a SleepPro 1, so if these teeth are intact, then you may be OK. If not, then you might be best to try a SleepPro 2 Custom impression (see below) for one night to see if a custom made mouthpiece will work for you.
What is a SleepPro 2 Custom Impression Kit?
What types of mandibular advancement devices are available?
- Inexpensive boil-and-bite devices like SleepPro 1’s,
- Custom-made devices like SleepPro 2 Custom. This is the ultimate in a MAD device. Small, soft, great fit, and much less expensive than units built and fitted by dental labs.
- Adjustable boil-and-bite devices, like our SleepPro SFA, which is the simplest, most effective and comfortable of all adjustables.
- Custom-made and fitted in a dental lab, similar to our SleepPro 2 Custom, except they are very expensive, upwards of $1,000.
What is the difference between a SleepPro 1 and a SleepPro 2 Custom?
The SleepPro 1 is a “boil-and-bite” mouthpiece, which means you put a thermo-plastic mold in hot water and then bite into it so that it takes the shape of your teeth. The SleepPro 1 is not customised, but it does provide a very good fit for a “boil-and-bite” mouthpiece.
The SleepPro 2 Custom is customized and hand-made in a laboratory. The SleepPro 2 Custom is made using a dental impression kit. You can take the impression yourself, or get your dentist to do it. It takes a perfect impression of your teeth.
The SleepPro 2 Custom has thinner walls and so is less bulky and you are less aware of it when you wear it.
The SleepPro 1 grips mainly the front teeth. The SleepPro 2 Custom grips all the teeth – which is why it is more comfortable and why it stays on your teeth while you are asleep (whereas a SleepPro 1 and all other MAD devices are somewhat more likely to fall off the teeth).
I breathe through my mouth when I am asleep, will I be able to wear a SleepPro?
What is open mouth snoring?
Which mandibular advancement device is better for a closed-mouth vs. an open-mouthed snorer?
Why order a SP2 with a basic SP1?
Why buy a package of two SleepPro 1's (standard model)?
For some people, it is simply so that they have a second as a spare or backup, just in case the one goes missing or gets eaten by the dog! (good doggy!)It has become such a part of their night’s sleep, that it is very important that they have one available and would greatly miss it even if for a couple of nights while they ordered another. Once they are used to great sleep, great sleep is what they want and need.
Some of our more experienced SleepPro users get two devices so they can have their jaw more or less forward, depending upon factors like whether or not (i) they are very tired, or (ii) they’ve been drinking, or (iii) they have a cold or hay fever – all things that are better controlled with the airway more open than normal (i.e. with the jaw a little further advanced).
Some people even bought a set of two SleepPro 1’s as a his and hers!
During peak holiday periods we get calls from people who tell us “I left it in my hotel room”.
Of course, the unit price is cheaper when you buy two!
What is your warranty?
100% Maximum Risk Warranty
Effective September 24, 2012, we are happy to refund per the following within 45 days, less our original shipping cost, subject to the following limitations:
- The above 100% warranty applies to the SleepPro 1, Noiselezz and Noiselezz II products only.
- The SleepPro SFA product carries a 50% – 45 day warranty
- The SleepPro 2 Custom is a custom-manufactured (for you only) appliance, purchased after due thought and testing. No warranty is stated or implied for the SleepPro 2 Custom appliance. See our SleepPro 2 Custom policy statement.
Combination discount will be deducted from refund where applicable.
Whether you actually use the appliance or not, once it has left our hands, it is considered “used”. We cannot, under any circumstances, resell any returned appliances. They are examined, documented and then immediately destroyed.
The appliance must be shipped according to our instructions (below).
Resale accounts are not eligible for this risk warranty or the repeat order discount
RETURN SHIPPING INSTRUCTIONS
Please read and follow exactly. Please contact us first, permission is not required to return however our experienced staff may be able to assist you. Please ship via post, and only post (Standard surface or air mail, in an envelope is the most economical).
- Mark the package “Canadian Goods Returning”, and “No Commercial Value.”
- Your return address must be the same as the original “ship to” address, clearly marked on the outside of your return package. No protective, special packaging required.
- Include a note of explanation and your name and address in full.
- Please include an invoice number, there is no reason for special packaging, the contents being returned truly have no value and require no protection. No value on any customs form required please.
- As well as the above comments. Postage should be less than $1.75 depending upon your location, if in North America that is.
- Shipping by any other method will automatically be returned to the sender, at the sender’s cost.
Therapy Control Products Inc.
Box 80046, Towerlane RPO
Airdrie, AB Canada T4B 2V8